Friday, November 4, 2016

Background - Leading up to the Dream


I would like to thank some very good friends for encouraging us, assisting with the creation of this blog which provides us an avenue to share our stories. Many thanks to Bill Garcia-Godoy and Mary Olson! There is actually a story to share about them that I will get to another time, but let us focus on the steps we have taken to prepare our RV and make it our home.

Leading Up to the Dream...

For as long as I can remember I have had the dream of driving an RV around the country and seeing everything that surrounds us. Susan and I bought our first motorhome together in 2007 and the beginnings of our new adventure had begun even if only on weekends and vacations. Now leap ahead several years and a handful of motorhomes…..lol yes a handful, we arrived at a 2007 American Coach Eagle 45H and we had found home, for now….lol and the journey really began.  Right off the bat we knew that if we were going to live in this rig we needed some updates so my adventure began, remodel, remodel, remodel. It wasn’t bad as I had retired and Susan seemed to think I had tons of time on my hands…lol One of the first things we knew was that we needed a larger refrigerator and wanted to switch to a full residential, so out with the old 11 cubic foot and in with the new 21 cubic foot Kitchen Aide.
 

Then we decided we didn’t want any carpet...





... so out with the carpet and in with new hardwood flooring everywhere we didn’t have heated tile.
Floor work completed by:
Ernie Ekberg RV Flooring, Weatherford, TX



We also decided to take out one of the couches so that I could have a recliner.       

Oh but then my dear wife says hey I don’t have any place for my baking pans could you make something, why of course I can.  So I find some Cherry lumber and go to work....     







Then she says, "Hey, if we didn’t have to lay our dishes flat we could save some room" ….. I can fix that too….  



Ah, but next it is my turn and I say "The only thing we have that still runs off of propane is the cooktop, wouldn’t you like to have a true-Induction cooktop?"
Getting ready for true-Induction


Recessed true-Induction cooktop has been installed
Waalaa - out comes the gas top and in with the new cooktop.     








And just like that I had struck again.

But Nooo - it can’t stop there, we had a front TV that we didn’t watch, who needs more than one in the living room anyway.


Wickett storage cabinet and new front blinds





When you are looking to maximize storage, space is premium. So I said to my dear wife two simple words…….”trust me” and I went to work once again…lol   Behind the “Wickett” is a lockable door and a nice storage area….







In addition to all the above modifications, we also changed out all the incandescent lights and replaced with with LED lighting. (I think we had over 70 different bulbs to change) Bulbs bought from  http://www.cabinbright.com/. We also changed out our old cockpit curtains and installed new Levlour stringless blinds from Lowes.com.


Just prior to moving into the motorhome, we removed our old living room TV, rebuilt the TV cabinet and installed a new 46” with a Bose sound bar.
New mid-ship TV with sound bar







We have also removed the King mattress from our bedroom and I rebuilt the bed base so that we could install a new Queen memory foam mattress. This simple change gave us much more room to walk around in and now making the bed is much easier. I have gotten to the point I don’t even remember all the things we have done to make this our new home, but the list is much longer than seen here.  Anyway you get the idea and the last couple of years have been pretty busy getting ready for our new life.








Enough of the remodel, Let the Dream and the journey begin….



               

No comments:

Post a Comment